Friday, March 6, 2009

Dandelion Dust

I need help giving Chimi a bath on a monthly basis so I invite EGR kids over to help. EGR is a phrase one of my old college friends taught me it means Extra Grace Required. In February, my EGR helpers were a bother and sister who are in foster care. The only thing harder than being a kid in foster care is being a foster parent. The Saturday afternoons that the kids come over to help with Chimi the whole family can rest and regroup. I tell the kids that I want them to play long and hard with Chimi so that once he gets his bath he will be ready to go bed. Both the kids and Chimi have a lot of energy!. This particular Saturday, the kids were making wishing blowing the seeds off dandelions. The kids were delighted to discover that Chimi would chase the dandelion dust that they blew into the wind. Your not suppose to tell a wish or it will not come true. It made me think of Karen Kingsburghs book Dandelion Dust about adoption. Healing a broken family and becoming a new whole family requires extra grace. I am thankful that Chimi and I have a part in such a work of love. May it be rooted and established more than just blowing in the wind.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Sweet Ministry Anne!

Infrequent Flyers said...

I just came across your blog for the first time today, and it's such a coincidence because I just saw the movie "Like Dandelion Dust" last week. If you ever get a chance to see it, it was EXCELLENT. Mira Sorvino does a fabulous job as the birth mother, and the little boy actor is also wonderful. I saw it at a film festival, so it's not widely released, but hopefully it will be soon.